Ca Pass Tunnel opened to traffic
Ca Pass Tunnel in central Vietnam was opened to traffic on August 21, drastically shortening travel time between Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa provinces.
If traveling on the Ca Pass, it will take vehicles around one hour but road users will need just 10 minutes to cross the tunnel.
According to Ca Pass Investment JSC, the project’s investor, the tunnel connects the central provinces of Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa, and reduces the distance between the two neighboring provinces to 13.19 kilometers from 21.4 kilometers.
The tunnel project consists of two components: the 4,125-meter Ca Pass Tunnel and the 500-meter Co Ma Tunnel.
The tunnel allows for a maximum speed of 80 kilometers an hour.
The cost of the build-operate-transfer (BOT) project is VND11 trillion (about US$484.2 million). Toll collection will begin on September 3.
Ca Pass Tunnel is expected to reduce traffic accidents because in the rainy season landslides often occur on the pass.
The tunnel also connects Nam Phu Yen Economic Zone in Phu Yen Province and Van Phong Economic Zone in Khanh Hoa Province, thus boosting trade and tourism in the central region.
Ca Pass Tunnel is the second largest tunnel project in central Vietnam after Hai Van Pass Tunnel that has been in service since 2005.
Another tunnel project in the central region is Cu Mong Pass Tunnel, which links Binh Dinh and Phu Yen provinces. The tunnel has a total length of 6.6 kilometers and requires a total investment of VND4 trillion.
Cu Mong Pass Tunnel is being developed under BOT and build-transfer (BT) format, and is scheduled for completion in 2019.
Deo Ca Investment JSC is also involved in a VND5.9 trillion project to widen the existing Hai Van Tunnel to four lanes. Work on the project started in February 2017 and is scheduled to be complete in 2020.
These projects, once in place, will facilitate goods and passenger transportation on National Highway 1A, the country’s backbone.
- Businessman Ho Minh Hoang: The start of a legend 12/05/2018
- Tunnel cuts travel time through Deo Ca Pass to ten minutes 22/12/2017
- Cả Pass tunnel road opened to traffic 22/12/2017
- Hầm Đèo Cả phá thế ‘ốc đảo’ của Phú Yên 11/09/2017
- Mekong Delta to accelerate transport infrastructure development 12/08/2016
- Investors interested in railway projects 12/08/2016
- Transport Ministry strives to lure investment in infrastructure development 12/08/2016
- Unlocking Capital Flows for Transport Infrastructure 12/08/2016
- VND5.9 trillion for Hai Van tunnel expansion project 12/08/2016
- Technical clearing at Co Ma Tunnel, groundbreaking Cu Mong tunnel 12/08/2016